Somebody Do Something!



If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. (II Chronicles 7: 14)


This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live.  (Deuteronomy 30: 19)


 


My heart has been so heavy over the past few days.  First, I lost a dear friend and family member in a tragic accident. Second, our news is full of senseless mass murders.  The crowd chants, “Do something! Do something!”


But who will “do something?” Oh, surely, our government leaders could all fall on their faces before God and seek His wisdom. They could draw on divine courage and strength to do the right thing, even if it meant they’d lose an election.  They could begin to take the bricks from hostile walls and could attack the problems rather than attacking each other.  Oh, how I pray that will happen! I sincerely do.


However, until such a miracle happens, do you and I stand powerless to “do something?” I think not.


If there is to be a change in this land, it must begin with individuals who are willing to live courageously the way of faith, peace, forgiveness, inclusion, compassion, and unity.  In short, the way of God’s Love.  I want to be one of those individuals.


I am responsible for how I relate with the people God allows me to touch.  I am accountable for the words, behaviors, and attitudes I exhibit in my sphere of influence.  It’s my responsibility to keep my own heart clean of bitterness and judgment of entire categories of God’s beloved human beings. I’m accountable for guarding my emotions so that I don’t get secretly or openly caught up in persuasive rhetoric on any side of the political spectrum.  (I’m not talking about politics, I’m talking about God’s principles here.) I must guard my heart from embracing anyone’s words and attitudes that bring out the worst in us rather than the best.  I’m referring to rejecting any verbiage that violates the Spirit of Love and the Word of God. Go and read about the life of Jesus Christ in the New Testament, and all of this will sound very familiar.


If I am a follower of Christ, I am accountable to allow Him to be Himself in me and through me.  And Who He is, is Love. What He desires for us is wholeness and unity.  Hate-filled attitudes, prejudicial judgments, and litanies of accusations are NOT from God.  John 10:10 clearly states, “The thief (Satan) comes to steal and kill and destroy, but I (Christ) have come that they might have life and have it more abundantly.”  Jesus taught Love.  Any philosophy that rests on “I’m better than you” is antithetical to Jesus’ teaching and to the abundant life He paid all to provide.


So I believe we are at a turning point as a nation.  We are making decisions now about who we are and what our core values are.  God has set before us the courses of life and death, blessing and cursing.  (Deuternomy 30: 19) He and His ways are life.  I pray that as a nation we can rise above ego and political party and do the right things together.  Our country’s destiny depends on it.


Similarly, that person looking back at you from the bathroom mirror faces life-determining decisions.  What will you allow to enter your mind and gradually take up residence in your heart? When others jump onto the bandwagons of division and anger and hate, will you allow yourself to be swept into that river of destruction?  Will your words consistently build, or will they tear down?  When your presence “touches” others, will they be comforted and encouraged, or will they be demoralized and discouraged?


People of God, let’s do something!  One of two things is about to happen.  Either we will choose to make a world of difference, or our differences will keep us worlds apart!


Lord, let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me.


 


 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Informations From: Revisi Blogging

Hush Lil Birdie

Hush Lil Birdie Matahari rendah di udara berjemur di taman dalam cahaya keemasan; Kolam bersinar seperti madu dan pepohonan mulai terlihat ...